Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Choose J.O.Y. -------Always!

Choose Joy.

So easy to say to someone, not easy for anyone to do in actual, full on, real life. Two weekends ago I had the pleasure of attending the Choose Joy women's retreat put on by our Ankeny Free Church W.E.L.L. (women encouraged to love the Lord) group.  It was just what I needed.  24 hours away from all the busyness of being a wife and mother (as well as preparing to move to a different continent) to be with my sisters in Christ and have time fully devoted to knowing my Savior better and worshipping Him.  Yep. Good stuff. (All though not nearly enough sleep, right girls?)
But what was interesting about the weekend was that many of the things discussed at this retreat were the farthest thing from being joyful.  Painful events from the past, stressful situations that are happening right now, as well as serious concerns about the future were the focus.  Yet, as our amazing speaker reminded us-believers are to choose joy ALWAYS.  And let me just tell you, I am totally guilty of having preconceived notions about Christian authors and speakers....they must have it all together, they can't really teach me anything about choosing joy in the difficulties of life because look at them, they have a published book and a speaking career.  As I read her bio in our program, I thought yep, she is a model Christian!  Then she spoke and told her story and I was BLOWN AWAY.  Not that I am glad she has been through some truly horrific things and is going through something really difficult right now, but I was impressed with her raw emotions and realness.  I don't know if I could be speaking about choosing Joy if I was going through what she is right now, yet, she is...and God used her story to activate joy in my life and in many others. It reminded me that in the end, there are no excuses and we need to be obedient to God.

Here are some key verses and lessons I took away from the retreat:

Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again, I will say, rejoice.
God doesn't tell believers to only rejoice when all the good things are happening, when everything is going our way.  He says always.  And this is for one major reason: to reflect Him.  To point people to Him. To show others that we believe our God is good no matter what. To demonstrate the joy only He can give.

Philippians 1:12 says, "Now I want you to know brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel."  
Trials in our lives serve as a special time to turn people towards God.  It is soooooo hard to see that when you are in the thick of it all, but oh so powerful when you can demonstrate to others the joy only God can give during the hard times.  It will bring others to God, no doubt about it.

Philippians 3:10 "I want to know Christ, yes, to know the power of His resurrection and participate in His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead."
I love how our speaker brought up this verse because I wouldn't have even thought of it having to do with joy.  Think about the words in it, sufferings and death???  But the point she brought up was because of the power of Jesus dying for us on the cross-joy is possible.  If we are going to really know Him, we have to also suffer just like He did. And He is worth every bit of pain we will go through in this life.  He is true joy.  She mentioned this song called "Worth It All"... (totally my new favorite song) Click below to listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP_tNd-Di4g

Hebrews 12:2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, for the Joy set before Him, he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne.
There wasn't joy in actually dying on the cross and God is not saying to have joy because we are going through something awful.  It says he endured the cross, like, he suffered through it and struggled!  But why did he do that?  For the end result, JOY!  We are not promised only joyful events here on earth, but when we meet our Savior, there is nothing but JOY!

Now, I know what you are thinking, there is no way I can have joy right now because _______________. You fill in the blank.  You could be struggling in your marriage, you could have a very sick child, or in a job you really hate.  And these things, these trials and tribulations, are not fun-they are not designed to bring you joy.  But God is designed to bring you JOY.  He wants us to grab hold of the JOY He has for us, so take it...

No matter what is going on in your life---we always have a choice.  So....

No comments:

Post a Comment