Friday, June 27, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday: What's Wrong With Me???

I got angry today when Alea kept moving around while I was trying to lay down with her and nap for a while.  I got angry today when Evan wouldn't do his school work.  I got angry yesterday when Mickey and I had a miscommunication.
I must have an anger problem.  I am always going to get angry easily.  I will never be one of those calm, go with the flow people.  Why can't I just deal with these situations more peaceably?  I am just an angry person.  This is just one example of how my mind can work after a few bad decisions.  I have been reading a book by Steven Furtick, called, "Crash the Chatterbox".  Mickey and I listened to the sermon series while we were in Africa as well.  It is definitely one of the most powerful sermon series I have ever listened to.  One section of this book deals with condemnation.  Have you ever gone down this road?  Taking something you did and letting it define you?  Who am I kidding, of course you have...we all have.  It the enemy's favorite way to attack.  Quickly, to be clear, in no way am I saying my actions were ok.  Anger like I was having was sinful and not to be taken lightly.  But I love what the author reminded me of,

"The problem comes when we go beyond confessing our sin (which means agreeing with God about it) and begin defining ourselves according to the sin.  In this way we allow our lives to be defined by what we did rather than anticipating our tomorrows according to what Christ has done.  We allow the Enemy to rob us the value of grace's great exchange, which is the central proposition of Christianity. We stop learning from our mistakes under the tutelage of the Spirit.  And we start accepting labels created by the lies of condemnation."   

I do struggle with the sin of anger.  BUT THAT IS NOT WHO I AM.  The enemy wants me to believe I am because anger can ruin relationships and wreck lives. Exactly what he wants.  God will lovingly work with me daily on this sin.  The author puts it this way, "every time God calls out a deficiency in your life, you can be assured that He is simultaneously offering an invitation.  He Himself will fill the voids He is identifying-if you will cooperate."  What sweet words these are...because I know I can't do it on my own.  And God has already done it and He is just waiting on me patiently. 

Romans 8:3-4  "What the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering.  And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit."

Key words: God did.  God conquered sin.  In Him we are pardoned by His blood.  I have said this before and it is worth repeating, this never means we just continue in sin.  But we can rest in His grace and listen to the Spirit.  He will focus us in on living according to what He wants.  We do NOT have to entertain the enemies ideas ever again that we won't be able to.  

The author urges us to do this:
"The next time the Enemy starts bombarding your mind with condemnation...-make him pay. Take the opportunity to remind him of what God did and what He has promised to do for you." 
-"God says He has saved me. And he is saving me."
-"God says He has forgiven me. And His grace is cleansing me."
-"God says He has called me. And His mercy is keeping me."
-"God says He has rescued my life from the pit. And His kindness is crowning me with love and compassion."  

Hope you can gain something by reading this. I know I am learning a lot.  God is not a God of condemnation so if that is what you are feeling, it is not coming from Him.  Believe that without a shadow of a doubt.  

1 comment: