Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Opposites Attract (and clash at times)

Skiing the last few days with my hubby has brought some interesting insight into our relationship.  But first, let me back up, and give some background info on what we are doing here.  Mickey and I will be celebrating our 7th wedding annivesary this summer.  Before we had children, (which is a little over 3 years ago now), we LOVED going on trips together.  We both love seeing new places and experiencing different cultures.  It is a time we both relax in a way we don't do at home.  After having our two children, we haven't been able to get away just the two of us very often.  We had enough airline miles to get free tickets for us both and found an awesome spring skiing deal...  sooooo, we decided to take a vacation to Banff, Alberta, Canada.  My mom and dad are staying with the kids most of the week and then they are headed to Mickey's parents for a few days before it is time to pick us up at the airport. 
It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL here...it is like a postcard everywhere you look, but more on that in a different post.  This one is going to relate to skiing.  We headed to Sunshine resort for our 1st day of skiing and I haven't skiied in two years, Mickey hasn't skiied in a year.  I did okay and Mickey was pretty patient with me.  BUT, I noticed some major differences in how we see things as we attempted our second day of skiing at Lake Louise.  As we got off  the ski lift at Lake Louise, the first hill we came to looked rather difficult to me.  Immediately in my mind, I am saying to myself- "I can't do this, I don't want to do this, I might fall and look stupid"  Which this brings me to the major difference between Mickey and I.  (Now he is a really good skiier, so this hill was nothing to him, but I am going to refer to a hill that would look difficult to him).  Mickey would look at a hill that looked difficult and would say to himself-"Sweet, this is awesome, can't wait to accomplish this, I can do this."  Do you see the DIFFERENCE?  This goes way beyond skiing, I can think of MANY examples to illustrate how differently we view certain things.  Now on this second day of skiing, this difference between us did not go well.  I could not see the mountain his way and he could not see the mountain my way.  BUT, isn't it cool to think that is exactly why God put us together?  Normally, (after some initial arguing), we complement each other perfectly.  Mickey stretches me to do things I would never do without him and I rein him in as needed and help him to remember we are all built differently (me with fear of tumbling down a mountain and breaking every bone in my body-ha!  I also would like to believe I challenge him too (like trusting God to provide for us as I stay at home) and he has to remind me that we can't just trust, we have to act while we trust. 
Anyways, just had some time to think about his as I don't have my lovely two children demanding every moment of my attention and I found it interesting.  Mickey and I are opposite in many ways, but God did that on purpose and I thank Him for it.  Otherwise, I would have never experienced the beauty of standing on top of a mountain or the thrill of flying down one.  Think about the differences between you and your hubby and EMBRACE them-God put you together for a reason.

Below are pictures of our first time skiing together at Lake Tahoe in 2008, haven't downloaded pics of this trip yet!
 Lake Tahoe
 1st ski lift
 Beautiful Lake Tahoe view
 1st timer at Tahoe

No comments:

Post a Comment