Sunday, November 3, 2013

Meet GiveLife Preschool Teacher-Doreen!


Meet Doreen Kamwengo, the GiveLife Preschool teacher. (and also my neighbor as well as new friend)


As you all know, part of my ministry here in Chongwe is to help Doreen make the preschool the best it can be.  I was really unsure of how I could help before I got here-I haven’t done any “work” in early childhood education for a long time and preschool is very different here in that most of these kids are being exposed to English for the first time!  A preschool teacher’s job is extremely important here because of that.  They must teach them this whole new language so they can go on to more schooling and have a better chance of success later in life.  But of course, my worries were futile.  
Because the truth is kids are kids and they all learn in similar manners, especially this age group.  Songs, physical activity, lots of reading books, hands on activities, as well as lots of love is what these kids need-and this I can do.  And Doreen is already doing these things and doing a great job-I will just help give her more ideas and activities that she just hasn’t been exposed to here in Zambia.  It’s not like she can Google things or pin ideas on Pinterest with no computer or Internet!  Lucky for her, I am a pinning fanatic!  Ha!  Anyways, this post is to share her story and what a story of survival and determination she has.  (Erin Port, I know you love a good personal story, so I did this partly just for you!  J )

Where did you grow up?  Livingstone, but born in Choma. 

What is your family dynamic?  My mother got married to my dad, but dad was previously married and brought with him his 3 daughters since his wife had died. My parents got divorced when she was pregnant with me, so then I went to live with mom.  Dad married another woman, and decided to get me from my mother when I was 4 years old.  Mom allowed it since she wasn’t in a financial position to take care of me.   I was brought up around a lot of family. My dad had a lot of money and in Zambia, if you have money, you share the wealth with any family who needs your help.  During this time, Mom got remarried and had 3 more children. Then her husband died.  I would only go see her on holidays.  She stayed a widow for about 4 years, then got married again.  This is when she had Margaret (this is the precious little girl you have seen in my Instagram and Facebook pictures-Mandey speaking).  Unfortunately in 2011 my mom passed away in front of her son.  Margaret didn’t really know what was going on-too young to understand. (More on Margaret in a little bit)  During this whole period of time with my mom being a widow and getting sick, my dad retired, but didn’t spend money wisely so with little money, much of my extended family left.  Even worse, in 2002, my stepmom died and all her family left.  So now just 3 of us left, me, dad, and one sister.  Times were tough and we didn’t always have money for school fees-so dad would send me to relatives for money to help and I managed to graduate. 

Tell us more about your schooling: I started grade 1 in 1995 at Nansanzu Basic School.  Went to grade 1-9 here.  Went on to grade 10 in 2004.  Completed education, never repeated any grade. Graduated in 2006. 
It was very difficult to even get into college without any money even for food, so I left for Choma in 2008.  Families back off with helping because they think it is enough to have grade 12 completed, so I couldn’t ask any relatives for money.  I started living with a sister and helping with housework and taking care of her kids.  The sister, by the hand of God, asked her what she wanted to do with her life and Doreen replied, “I want to go to college”.  To her surprise, her sister gave her 300 kwacha to start a business, so she could start earning a wage to save for college.  Doreen decided to sell tomatoes in Livingstone. She made enough profit, but it was very difficult.  Walked 12 kilometers (that’s about 7 miles!) most days to find cheap tomatoes to buy and sell.  One day, she went to several villages and couldn’t find any tomatoes.  Thankfully, she met a lady who told her she could find some at an orphanage, and she found very good tomatoes and good vegetables, sold them, then kept coming back to the orphanage to continue the business arrangement.  I did this for about a year and a half.  The keeper of the orphanage had a compassionate heart and told her he would work on getting her a sponsorship for college, which never happens!  And he did! (Typically, only young children can get sponsored for grade school)  God answered her prayer and made her dream come true. This money covered her school fees and the money earned from selling tomatoes helped pay for food and other necessities during college.  Went in 2010 to the Musi-o-tunya College of Education.  Graduated in 2011.  The orphanage wanted her to come work for them at the preschool and then changed their mind, and told her she could go where she wanted.

What made you want to become a teacher?   I have a passion for children-grew up with the passion and love for them.

How did you get to Chongwe (Chongwe is about a 7 hour drive from Livingstone)?  The sponsors from the orphanage offered a chance to go to a discipleship course, so instead of going directly to look for a job, I took this opportunity.  This was in Kabwe-OM (Operation Mobilization) Zambia, and it was a 3 month course.  This is how I heard about Give Life and found out they were looking for a teacher/missionary.  I applied and there were 4 other applicants.  We all went for interviews and they picked me!  I wanted to get involved with a Christian organization so it seemed like a good fit. 

Do you see yourself always teaching? I love being a teacher even though it can be quite tiresome with all the planning, as well as managing of different behaviors. But yes, I think I will teach my entire life, although I leave the door open for God to change that.

What is your Faith story? I grew up in a Christian home-went to church every Sunday, I knew who Christ was, but not knowing the relationship I should have with Christ.  The OM (Operation Mobilization) discipleship program really made things clear for me. 

What do you like to do for fun?
I like watching television, chatting with friends, and sharing experiences.  I like visiting new places. 

What are your hopes and dreams for the future?  I hope to get married, have kids of my own, travel to America or other places, and do something in business to empower me a little bit more. 

More on Margaret: After my mom died, I was frustrated that her dad wasn’t there at all, so when I got the job with Give Life, I knew I should take her as my own. She is my half-sister technically, but I will care for her as her mom my whole life.  Her dad still doesn’t even try to find Margaret or see how she is doing.

 
How can you pray for Doreen?  For God’s wisdom in raising Margaret as well as paying for the school fees for her other brother who is cared for by the sister as well as another child from her sister. (Again, remember how Zambian families are-whoever have money helps her family members with any money needs so since Doreen has a job-she is asked to help)  For God to bring her a good, godly man and who will love her and understand all that she has been through in her life. 

Conclusion: Pretty amazing huh? I'm pretty sure the same time she was walking 7 miles each day in search of tomatoes and buying and selling them, I was complaining about having to work a 4 hour shift at Dairy Queen or having to get up and deliver papers at 6 in the morning.  Puts life in perspective, doesn't it?  
And I love how her whole goal in doing that was to get an education. It was that important to her and she didn't just accept her fate.  She didn't have anyone to pay her way, nor could she expect the government to pay it, so she worked hard and prayed, and as you can see God came through in a big way for her.  I hope you will join me in prayer for her-life is still not easy for her, walking with Margaret to and from school each day, teaching a preschool class on her own all day with no assistants, no break, and being a young, single mother.  And despite all this, you won't hear a complaint from her...Every time I see her, there is a joy exuding from her that can only come from our good and loving Savior who has His hand upon her life.  

1 comment:

  1. love this mandey. we will be praying for doreen. praising God for her willing heart! thanks so much for sharing! you are giving us glimpses into life in zambia. opens up our world to theirs making it so real. love love that!

    ReplyDelete