Thursday, May 29, 2014

Back home in the U.S.A.

It's been almost two weeks since we have been back.  We technically don't have a "home" yet, but God has been good to us in teaching us that HOME really is where the heart is.  Some people have asked how the kids are doing with all of the change and I am happy to say that they are just fine, better than fine.  We have each other and we serve the same God-that is all that matters.
I thought I would compile one of my random lists covering some of my latest thoughts, emotions, and musings.

1.  Taking a hot shower and actually feeling clean afterwards is a pretty amazing feeling.  Something I won't take for granted anytime soon.
2.  I lost a jr. high/high school friend a few weeks ago and it hit me pretty hard.  He was an amazing guy who always made me laugh.  Memories keep flooding my mind of my time with him.  The only good thing that is coming out of it right now is the desire to keep in better touch with old friends.
3.  It is very strange to think about how I was in Zambia two weeks ago preparing to leave.
4.  I love how living in Zambia taught me to be more relaxed.  Not that it is a relaxing place to live, it is actually quite stressful, but I feel like I have a better understanding of first world problems and third world problems.
5.  Straight roads are nice. And driving on the "right" side of the road and "right" side of the vehicle. :)
6.  Filming House Hunters International was such a nerve-wracking, yet fun experience.  We had the best crew and they felt like family by the end.  I have no idea how the show will turn out, but it was a good time and we were told really positive things by the crew.  "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and GLORIFY YOUR FATHER IN HEAVEN."
7. My dad said something really funny the other day about my feet, "are they going to be permanently dirt stained?"  I laughed so hard.  My feet certainly took a hit in Africa.  I wouldn't have it any other way though.
8.  It is strange to have to think about the weather now and what to wear.  In Zambia, you pretty much know it is going to be hot, and my clothes options were pretty limited.  Being back, it has already been 50 degrees and 85 degrees.  Never once did we have that kind of jump in Zambia!
9.  I get my first haircut in 9 months on Friday and I am pumped.
10.  My heart hurts when I think about how much I miss our friends in Zambia.
11.  There is something freeing about going to the faucet and putting a cup underneath and drinking from that cup.  Do not take this lightly folks, we have it very easy here!
12.  God blessed us with two amazing little travelers.  On our 15 hour flight, they were rock stars.  They played, colored, slept, and watched movies.  I was more antsy then they were!
13.  Abu Dhabi and Dubai were the cleanest cities I have ever been in.  And the richest too.  It was definitely a major contrast leaving Africa and being there a few days.
14.  Evan got his foot stuck in an escalator in Dubai.  I was able to pull it out right before we got to the bottoms but it was pretty scary.  He did lose a chunk of skin off his big toe and it is taking some time to heal.
15.  All I want to do eat all the yummy food I missed this last 9 months, but I am trying both successfully and unsuccessfully to have will power.
16.  We had a really unique situation in Zambia where we got to live in the same yard (different houses) as our wonderful friends and fellow missionaries from Ankeny, the Smiths.  It is not often that adults get to experience the community we did.  We loved each other through the good and bad and they are now our extended "family".  It was very hard to leave them.  We miss you guys!!!
17.  I love how stores are organized to make logical sense here!
18.  Time is tricky everywhere.  I was busy in Zambia and I am busy here in different ways.  My prayer is that God will help me to always plan my day according to kingdom purposes.
19.  We have been living out of boxes for about a year now-excited to move into our apartment in mid-June and not be digging to find everything!
20.  There is a really amazing guy named Chimbaza that we have hired to continue the work we started in Zambia.  He is a man of integrity and conviction and we praise God that he wanted to work with us! More on him soon.
21.  Am I excited to be back? Yes.  Do I want to be here and there simultaneously? Yes.  Still sorting through all these thoughts and emotions.

Evan's poor little toe

Our housekeeper and my dear friend who I miss-Felista

Filming HHI

My "sister" Heidi (left) and Dr. Marjie-two amazing servants of the Lord

Mickey and Chimbaza at the Kalungula garden we planted



1 comment:

  1. Miss you Mandey and Mickey! We all do! Had a great time visiting with Heidi and Jeff - wish I'd done more of that with you all, but so love all that God is doing in your life!

    ReplyDelete