Thursday, August 14, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday: Temptation

Luke 4:13
The Message
"The devil retreated temporarily,
lying in wait for another
opportunity."


When I am tired and hungry, I make the worst decisions.  I snap at hubby and/or children, and make a really unhealthy eating choice.  It gets ugly around here.  How about you?  Can you relate?  These are the moments when it gets tough to do the right thing.  And this is why I love our God.  Our God knew that this would be case.  He provides for us in His Word not only a teaching on how to handle these times, but He also shows us by His example.  He went through it.  I think we forget this sometimes, that while Jesus was still God on this earth, He experienced human fatigue, hunger, and pain.  We have to remember this about our Savior.  Let's look at Luke 4. In the beginning of this chapter, we find Jesus being led by the Spirit to a time out in the wild.  Picture with me Jesus in the wilderness.  A true wilderness, no interstate nearby with food or lodging option and no distractions.  Straight up in the middle of nowhere.  (Already, I would be panicking.)  We learn in v. 2, Jesus spent 40 days and nights and He ate nothing during those days.  Whoa.  Nothing?  Hard to believe but every commentary I found says it is not an exaggeration.  It also seems it was done by men before him-Moses and Elijah.  

"And he did eat nothing [It used to be thought that a forty days' absolute fast was a practical impossibility, and Luke's words were therefore modified to mean that he ate very little. But as a forty days' fast has been safely accomplished in modern times, and as it was Jesus who fasted, we see no reason why we should not take Luke's statement literally, as indicating an absolute fast] in those days: and when they were completed. "(http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/the-fourfold-gospel/by-sections/jesus-tempted-in-the-wilderness.html)

As you are probably thinking right now, wow, I bet he was hungry on that 41st day. Guess who showed up at this difficult moment? The one that always shows up at difficult moments-crossroad times in our life where we can either make a good or bad decision.  Satan.  Why?  He knew this was a perfect opportunity to do what he does best. Temptation.  What do you suppose Satan tried to tempt him with first?  You got it, food.  Who wouldn't do ANYTHING for food at that point?  Jesus, that's who.  He responded with the best way to conquer anything in life-with Scripture.  That's it.  No giving in with human reason or trying to make a deal, just simply responding with the written Word.  Satan tries again, this time tempting Jesus to be prideful.  He tells Jesus that He could rule the world, but He would have to worship Satan.  Same response, another Scripture.  Last, but not least, Satan tries one more time.  He tests Jesus.  He wants Jesus to prove who He is.  Not going to happen.  What do you think He did?  More Scripture.  
Let me explain why this hit me hard today in my quiet time and I felt I needed to share it.  I have been tempted in many ways lately.  Tempted to be angry, hurt, lazy, prideful, etc.  It has been overwhelming.  This reminded me how I need to fight.  If I try and fight with my earthly mind and sinful self, I will lose more than I win.  Even when I do win, it will have been tough and taken all of me. This has been the case lately. The simple and most effective answer to handling temptation is responding with His word.  But how do I do that?  I have to equip myself with it.  God's word is living and active and provides an out for every temptation.  I am challenging myself today to really be consistent in reading His word and writing it on my heart.  Because if Satan attacks and I am not ready, he will win. If he wins, that means myself and those around me, lose.  We all can't be winners.  But if I have as quick as response as Jesus did each time, I can knock him down.  This takes time to be able to do that, to be so ingrained with Scripture in our heads that we are ready for anything, but oh, what benefits.  
Finally, I quoted a verse at the beginning that ends this little temptation session in the desert.  It may be the most important part.  
Unfortunately, Satan does not give up easily.  You might defeat him time and time again, and think you can take a few days off, but you can't ever rest. He certainly doesn't. "He lies in wait for another opportunity"-Luke 4:13.  So, if you learn anything from this today along with me, arm yourself with His word.  Be consistent in your time with Him. There is always an escape if you are prepared.

For no temptation (no trial regarded as enticing to sin), [no matter how it comes or where it leads] has overtaken you and laid hold on you that is not common to man [that is, no temptation or trial has come to you that is beyond human resistance and that is not adjusted and adapted and belonging to human experience, and such as man can bear]. But God is faithful [to His Word and to His compassionate nature], and He [can be trusted] not to let you be tempted and tried and assayed beyond your ability and strength of resistance and power to endure, but with the temptation He will [always] also provide the way out (the means of escape to a landing place), that you may be capable and strong and powerful to bear up under it patiently.
1 Corinthians 10: 13
(http://www.heavensinspirations.com/word-temptation.html)


No comments:

Post a Comment