Monday, February 28, 2011

In Loving Memory-My Gramps

My grandpa passed away a week ago...He was 91 years old, a WW2 veteran, a loving and caring husband, father, grandfather, and greatgrandfather, and a selfless, godly, man.  As much as I knew this day was coming and I know he lived a good, long life, it still hurts and I will miss him greatly.  I am posting below what I read at his funeral.  He wanted each of his grandchildren to say something because we were everything to him.
There is no perfect way of describing my grandpa or adequately explaining how much he means to me.  I am fortunate to be his only granddaughter and he always let me know how special I was by telling me I was his "favorite" granddaughter and I would reply I am your only granddaughter, the he would say I would still be his favorite!  :)  We were blessed growing up to be able to spend a lot of time with him.  As most of you know, his wife, Shirley, passed away at a young age.  28 years ago to be exact, and Grandpa really turned his attention on us.  My mom also got sick around this time and my grandpa was called upon to help out quite a bit.  That was the best thing about Gramps.  He was always willing to help and wanted to do everything he could for us.  If we ever needed a ride somewhere, we could call Gramps.  If we didn't want to eat what Mom made for dinner, he would make us something else (or take us to McDonalds).  If we wanted to go to the pool or the park, he would take us.  The list could go on and on.  He not only showed his love for us with his actions, but also with words.  He was constantly telling us how proud he was of us and how we were the "best" at everything, even when we weren't.  Besides loving us with actions and words, he loved us with gifts.  He loved Christmas time and birthdays so he could watch us open our presents.  One very special gift he gave to me was a blue stuffed bunny.  It may not sound like much, but usually he gave money to my mom and my mom would pick out the presents.  But one Christmas, he knew how much I loved bunnies and he went to the store and picked it out himself.  He was so proud to give it to me.  I still have it to this day.  Finally, he also loved us by spending quality time with us.  He would take us to the river to feed the ducks, and have us over for sleepovers (where I would have to watch MASH-dumb show), and would come to all our practices and games.  He was just always there, loving us as best he could. 
I could go on and on about what a great grandpa he was  but I want to end with the best gift he left behind.  That is he is a believer in Jesus Christ and is in heaven right now.  I know I will see him again in heaven and like my little brother said these are not just comforting words I am saying to myself to make myself feel better-it is really true!  My grandpa and I share the faith that Jesus came, lived, died for our sins, and rose again, and because he did this, we can have everlasting life.  This is the best give he could of given us and I look forward to our reunion in heaven.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing Mandey. We are so sorry for you loss.
    Amy & Dustyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said Mandey!

    ReplyDelete